Chemical Formula:See FLUORITE / (Y bearing fluorite)
Mineral for Display: No
|Long Waves (365nm): || Yellow ||Short Waves (254 nm): || Yellow |
|Other colors LW: || |
White , Yellowish White , Dark Orange /Tawn , Greenish Yellow , Blue , Violet , Violet blue ,
|Other colors SW: || |
White , Yellowish White , Orange , Dark Orange /Tawn , Greenish Yellow ,
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
Waxy luster is indicative of this variety of fluorite.
When the Yttrium content increase, the cubic structure of fluorite disappears and trigonal Tveitite-(Y) is formed.
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Globe pegmatite, South Petaca, Petaca District, Rio Arriba Co., New Mexico, USA;
- Big Bertha Mine, South Platte Pegmatite District, Jefferson Co., Colorado, USA (yellowish-white SW);
- Xihuashan ore field, Dayu Co., Ganzhou Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China (bluish-white SW);
- Ploskaya Mt, Western Keivy Massif, Keivy Mountains, Kola Peninsula, Murmanskaja Oblast, Northern Region, Russia;
- Øvre Lapplægeret Quarry, Lapplægeret, Drag, Tysfjord, Nordland, Norway;
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.