Chemical Formula: (Na,Ca)(Si,Al)4O8
Crystal System: Triclinic
Mineral for Display: No
|Short Waves (254 nm): || Red |
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Most Common Activator: Fe3+
Other activators: Ce3+ , Eu3+ ,
Peaks in the spectrum (nm):
Ce3+: broad band peaking at 325 nm
Eu3+: broad band peaking at 407nm
Fe3+: broad band at 765nm (130nm half-width)
Spectrum: Michael Gaft, Petah Tikva, Israel. Plot: Institute of Mineralogy, University of Vienna, Austria, with permission of the authors.
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Monts Estérel, Var, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France;
- Washington Pass, Golden Horn Batholith, Okanogan Co., Washington, USA (albite dim white LW);
- Szklary (Gläsendorf), Ząbkowice (Frankenstein), Ząbkowice District, Lower Silesia (Dolnośląskie), Poland (albite, yellow-brown SW);
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
- Luminescence Spectroscopy of Minerals and Materials, M. Gaft, R. Reisfeld, G. Panczer, Springer Editor, ISBN: 10 3-540-21918-8 ,
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.