Chemical Formula: Ca5(AsO4)3(OH,F)
Familly: Phosphates, Arseniates, Vanadates
Crystal System: Hexagonal
Mineral for Display: No
|Short Waves (254 nm): || Dark Orange /Tawn ||Weak|
|Other colors SW: || |
Yellow , Orangy yellow , Orange , Green , Purple pink ,
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
The arsenate analogue of Hydroxylapatite. The OH analogue of Turneaurite.
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Parker Shaft, Franklin Mine, Franklin, Franklin Mining District, Sussex Co., New Jersey, USA (yellow SW);
- Sterling Mine, Sterling Hill, Ogdensburg, Franklin Mining District, Sussex Co., New Jersey, USA (orange SW);
- Solongo B deposit, Vitim Plateau, Buriatia Republic (Buryatia), Transbaikalia (Zabaykalye), Eastern-Siberian Region, Russia (weak orange SW);
- Jakobsberg Mine, Jakobsberg ore field, Nordmark district, Filipstad, Värmland, Sweden (pink-violet SW);
- Langban, Varmland Province, Sweden (?) (Johnbaumite is not supposed to have been found in Langban);
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
- The World of Fluorescent Minerals, Stuart Schneider, Schiffer Publishing, 2006, ISBN 0-7643-2544-2 ,
Luminescence Reference on internet:
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.