Chemical Formula: NaCa2Mg5Si7AlO22(OH)2
Status: IMA-A (GP)
Crystal System: Monoclinic
Mineral for Display: No
|Short Waves (254 nm): || Bluish White |
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
May be confused with PARGASITE or MAGNESIOHORNBLENDE also sometime luminescent.
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Most Common Activator: Dy3+
Other activators: Sm3+ ,
Peaks in the spectrum (nm):
Dy3+ repl. Ca2+ : 490, 575, 660nm
Sm3+ repl. Ca2+ : 553, 557, 600, 601, 603, 609, 647nm
No spectrum for the moment
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Goosebury Dump, Franklin marble, Franklin, Franklin Mining District, Sussex Co.,New jersey, USA;
- Fowler Quarry (Nicoll Quarry; Nicols Quarry; Cellate Quarry), Franklin Marble, Franklin, Franklin Mining District, Sussex Co., New Jersey, USA;
- Limecrest Quarry, Sparta Township, Sussex Co., New Jersey, USA;
- Lake Baïkal, Siberia, Russia;
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
- Luminescent Spectra of Minerals, Boris S. Gorobets and Alexandre A. Rogojine, Moscow, 2002 ,
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.