Chemical Formula: Zn4Si2O7(OH)2 H2O
Crystal System: Orthorhombic
Mineral for Display: No
Associated names (luminescent varieties, discredited names, synonymes etc.): calamine, vanuxemite,
|Long Waves (365nm): || Yellowish White ||Short Waves (254 nm): || Blue |
|Other colors LW: || |
|Other colors SW: || |
White , Yellowish White , Green ,
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Comments on activators and spectra:
Gunnell has studied the luminescence of hemimorphite in 1933 (publied in The Mineralogist?).
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Hill Top Mine, Cochise county, Arizona, USA;
- Sterling Mine, Sterling Hill, Ogdensburg, Franklin Mining District, Sussex Co., New Jersey, USA (white or green SW);
- Ojuela Mine, Mapimí, Municipio Mapimí, Durango Mexico (weak LW+SW);
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
- Handbook of Fluorescent Gems and Minerals, a practical guide for the gem and mineral collector, Jack de Ment, 1949 ,
Luminescence Reference on internet:
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.