Chemical Formula: Be3Al2Si6O18
Crystal System: Hexagonal
Mineral for Display: No
Associated names (luminescent varieties, discredited names, synonymes etc.): aquamarine, emerald, morganite, goshenite,
|Long Waves (365nm): || Orangy yellow ||Short Waves (254 nm): || Orangy yellow |
|Other colors SW: || |
Bluish White , Dark Orange /Tawn , Bluish ,
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
No phosphorescence seen by naked eye whatever the type of UV
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Most Common Activator: Cr3+
Other activators: Fe3+ , Mn4+ , V2+ , VO43- ,
Peaks in the spectrum (nm):
(VO4)3- : Broad band peaking at 433 nm
Mn2+ tetrahedral : Broad band peaking at 480nm
Mn2+ octaedral : Broad band peaking at 570nm
Fe3+ or V2+ or Mn4+ : Broad band peaking at 720 - 745 nm (140nm half-width)
Cr3+ or V2+ : Lines at 692 and 694nm
Spectrum: Michael Gaft, Petah Tikva, Israel. Plot: Institute of Mineralogy, University of Vienna, Austria, with permission of the authors.
To the spectrum gallery (3 spectra in the gallery)
Comments on activators and spectra:
Band peaking at 730 nm associated with Mn4+ (or Mn3+)
Broad band peaking at 480 (Mn2+ in tetrahedral) and 570 (Mn2+ in octaedral coordination).
Broad band peaking at 720 - 745 nm (Fe3+ or V2+ or Mn4+).
Lines at 692 and 694 (Cr3+).
Broad band peaking at 433 nm (VO4).
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Lavra Chia, Minas Gerais, Brazil;
- Pingwu beryl mine, Huya township, Mt Xuebaoding, Pingwu Co., Mianyang Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China (var. goshenite bluish-white SW);
- Weeks Quarry, East WakefieldNH, USA (faint peach color LW);
- Newry, Maine, USA (weak yellow LW, nothing SW)
- Gillette Quarry, Haddam Neck, Haddam, Middlesex Co., Connecticut, USA (var. morganite fluo blue-white SW);
- Strickland Quarry, Strickland pegmatite, Collins Hill, Portland, Middlesex Co., Connecticut, USA (blue SW);
- Tamminen Quarry, Greenwood, Oxford Co., Maine, USA (blue SW with fluorapatite yellow);
- Fillow Quarry, Branchville, Redding, Fairfield Co., Connecticut, USA (blue SW);
- Laghman Province, Afghanistan (var. morganite, blue SW);
- Konar Province, Afghanistan (var. morganite, blue SW);
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
- Luminescence Spectroscopy of Minerals and Materials, M. Gaft, R. Reisfeld, G. Panczer, Springer Editor, ISBN: 10 3-540-21918-8 ,
- Handbook of Fluorescent Gems and Minerals, a practical guide for the gem and mineral collector, Jack de Ment, 1949 ,
Luminescence Reference on internet:
- Gillette Quarry, Connecticut, USA (blue-white SW): http://www.mindat.org/photo-618479.html
- Strickland Quarry, Connecticut, USA (blue SW): http://www.mindat.org/photo-350719.html
- Tamminen Quarry, Maine, USA (blue SW): http://www.mindat.org/photo-350720.html
- Fillow Quarry, Connecticut, USA: http://www.mindat.org/photo-395962.html
- Mt Xuebaoding, Pingwu Co., China: http://www.mindat.org/photo-526048.html
- Mt Xuebaoding, Pingwu Co., China (var. goshenite): http://www.mindat.org/photo-530073.html
- Mt Xuebaoding, Pingwu Co., China (var. goshenite with fluorite & scheelite): http://www.mindat.org/photo-549299.html
- Laghman Province, Afghanistan (var. morganite): http://www.mindat.org/photo-662419.html
- Konar Province, Afghanistan (var. morganite, blue SW): http://www.mindat.org/photo-675578.html
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.