Chemical Formula: Ca5(AsO4)3(F,OH)
Familly: Phosphates, Arseniates, Vanadates
Crystal System: Hexagonal
Mineral for Display: Yes
|Short Waves (254 nm): || Orange ||Strong||Always|
Short Waves Pictures (254nm)
Langban, Filipstad, Varmland Province, Sweden ;
Photo & Col. © G. Barmarin
Galerie de photos:
The directory does not exist...
To the gallery ( images in the gallery)
Phosphorescence (in the common meaning of the term) seen by naked eye:
Associated with dull red fluorescing tilasite in Langban.
Main Activator(s) and spectrum:
Most Common Activator: Mn2+
Other activators: Nd3+ ,
Peaks in the spectrum (nm):
Mn2+ repl. Ca2+ : band peaking at 585 - 612nm
Nd3+ : 874nm (exc. 780nm)
No spectrum for the moment
Comments on activators and spectra:
Svabite was studied by steady-state luminescence spectroscopy and luminescence of Mn2+ was found (Gorobets and Rogojine 2001).
Excitation by CW laser with 532 and 780 nm revealed band of Mn2+ and narrow luminescence lines of evidently Nd3+
Best Locality for luminescence(*):
- Langban, Filipstad, Varmland Province, Sweden ;
- Ultevis, Lappland, Sweden ;
- Franklin, New Jersey, USA ;
- A skarn at Solongo, Buriat Republic, Russia ;
- Jakobsberg Mine, Jakobsberg ore field, Nordmark district, Filipstad, Värmland, Sweden (Svabite pseudomorphose after Tilasite);
(*)Data are not exhaustive and are limited to the most important localities for fluorescence
Bibliographical Reference for luminescence:
- The Henkel Glossary of Fluorescent Minerals, Dr. Gerhard Henkel, Published by the FMS, 1989 ,
- Fluorescence: Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light, Manuel Robbins, 1994, Geoscience Press, ISBN 0-945005-13-X ,
- The World of Fluorescent Minerals, Stuart Schneider, Schiffer Publishing, 2006, ISBN 0-7643-2544-2 ,
- Luminescence Spectroscopy of Minerals and Materials, M. Gaft, R. Reisfeld, G. Panczer, Springer Editor, ISBN: 10 3-540-21918-8 ,
- Luminescent Spectra of Minerals, Boris S. Gorobets and Alexandre A. Rogojine, Moscow, 2002 ,
Luminescence Reference on internet:
Mineralogical Reference on internet:
Search on Internet:
Search for images on 'Google Image'
Search for documents in English on Google
Search for documents in any languages on Google
Search on Wikipédia
While all due attention has been paid to the implementation of the database, it may contain errors and/or accidental omissions. By nature, the database will always be incomplete because science always evolves according to new analysis.
A request providing no result means only that no such reference exists in the database, but it does not mean that what you are looking for does not exist, just not to our knowledge. If you think you have found an error or omission, please let us know via the contact page
being sure to cite the source of information.